St. Teresa’s Church, Nungambakkam was established in 1912. St. Teresa’s Church is historically significant for different reasons. This Church is also ideally located in the heart of the city of Chennai and provides an excellent opportunity for hundreds of Catholics from different parts of the city of Chennai to participate in the Sunday Worship.
This Parish was under the control of the Mill Hill Fathers until 1929. Later it came under the control of the Diocese of Madras. The Bishop’s House of this Diocese was situated in this Parish and it was the residence of Bishop Allen who pioneered the founding of Loyola College. Late Archbishop R. Arulappa was the Parish Priest during the period from 1948 to 1953.
This year, 2012, is a very special for us. This is the Centenary Year for St. Teresa’s Church. She will be completing hundred years (1912-2012) of her presence in the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore. This Centenary Celebration of our Parish – One hundred years of experiencing God’s personal interventions in our life and mission – is indeed a great and privileged occasion. In view of the Centenary Year we have taken every effort to restore the Church. The Sanctuary has been painstakingly restored and reflects the spirit of antiquity. The Church has been extended to provide space for the veneration of saints. Besides, a new and copper-plated flag mast has been installed and a new Adoration Chapel has been constructed. In all these creative endeavours, delicate attention to maintain the historical heritage and meticulous planning to add a new aesthetic texture to the Church has been indeed a challenging assignment. Today, the Church stands out as only one of its kind and is collectively recognised for its prayerful ambience, creative glass art, wooden sculpture, and for its pristine glory. The Church is marked with a profound sense of divine. All those who visit this Church will certainly have an intuitive feel of God’s presence.
The Blessing of the Restored Church and the Solemn Eucharistic Celebration
will be presided over by
Most Rev Dr A.M.Chinnappa, SDB
Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore,
on Saturday, December 8, 2012, 05.30 p.m.
Rt Rev Dr Antony Devotta,
Bishop of Tiruchirappalli,
Rt Rev Dr Neethinathan,
Bishop of Chengalpattu,
will grace the occasion with their presence.
We have also decided to release a souvenir to commemorate this beautiful event.
The Catholic Community at St. Teresa’s Church also places a strong accent on social concerns. The people at this parish are seriously engaged in uplifting the poor of the society through education. Three schools are attached to this Parish, offering integral formation and leadership training to more than 3,000 students who come mostly from the slums surrounding the Parish. We are convinced that education will provide them with the required values, skills and leadership orientation to make them confident, reliant and self-sufficient.
We would be more than happy to welcome one and all of you to participate in the Centenary Celebrations and to have a personal experience of the Divine by spending a few memorable moments at this restored church. Your presence will certainly enhance our joy. We earnestly pray that God’s bountiful blessings may rest on the entire parish community and on everyone who come in faith to pray at this Church.
Rev Fr Lawrence Raj